MEET REAL COLONIAL WOMEN
- Mary Bryant– a courageous convict who escaped at great cost
- Eliza Hawkins– a girl pioneer who crossed the Blue Mountains
- Lola Montez– the legendary celebrity who danced at the goldfields
One superb actress brings these very different women alive at your school. These amusing, heartfelt and interactive stories are told through dramatic monologues, poetry, letters, songs and even newspaper reports.
Learn in an integrated way many aspects of the new Australian curriculum:
- clothing, artefacts and customs from a different era
- the First Fleet and the gold rushes
- different points of view including those of women, Aboriginals and convicts
- Language, literature and literacy come to life in a fast-paced funny script.
- A range of spoken language and dramatic forms such as soliloquies and monologues are used.
- Techniques including rhythm, rhyme entertain and fascinate the audience.
- Drama: experience pace, volume and dramatic climax.
- Music: hear original and traditional songs.
Backing music from the show is included in an easy-to-use free teaching pack.
|Dates||Year round 2017.
For specific dates, please see our calendar page.
Pioneers in Petticoats also available 2016.
|Cost||$630 for up to 90 students (plus GST). Extra students $7 each. Maximum 200 per performance.|
|Length||1 hour including 10 mins Q&A|
Drama workshops and playwright seminars
We also offer both drama workshops with our actors after the performance, and seminars with award winning author and playwright Wendy Blaxland.
For more information, please visit the workshops and seminars page.
“The play was very interesting and how Brigid portrayed the three main characters throughout the performance was amazing. Well done!”– St Andrews Cathedral School
“As a one woman production the staging and production were exceptional and on a historical level it was accurate and fitted in perfectly to the HSIE unit we have been studying.”– Artarmon Public School
“This was an excellent show. It was interesting, historically based and captivating for the students. Thank you.”– Belrose Public School
“Very well done a great focus on women in history.”– Black Springs Public School
See for yourself
How to book
(02) 7901 1920
Please fill out the booking form and return it to Jessica@blaxlandanddaughter.com.
For more information please fill out the form below and someone will be in contact within 48 hours.